Sunday, August 23, 2009

I love Summer

WARNING this is long blog entry made mostly for my kids. If you are not related to me, you can read the first and last paragraph and you will get the just of our summer. However you are welcome to read the whole thing.

My mother in law called me the other day and asked how things were going? I said really good. It has been a really nice summer. Nothing really bad or hard has happened and nothing really over excitingly good has happened either. I realized at that moment that as a Mom, I had really enjoyed this summer even though all we had done is enjoy life at it's simplest. The kids are convinced that all we did do is hike. To help them remember our fun, here are a few of the highlights. (Some with pictures, some without, I wasn't a very good camera person this summer even the pictures I have are not very good.)

We started off the summer with a trip to Aunt Lisa's to see her graduate with her Masters. Going to Aunt Lisa's is like going to a resort. She has plenty of bedrooms to sleep in a pool and Matt and Rick are pretty good entertainment.


Followed by a few days hiking in Zion's. This is where Rick asked me to marry him 14 years ago.

A visit from our best friends the Laings. (Heather, I know you got better pics of this whole weekend. Not that Kelly and Rick don't make for a good picture.)

A visit from Shirlyn cousin Gracie and Dylan. (Once again I have to beg for pictures. Shirlyn do you have any more.) This one is of Dylan and Brian.


Sarah turned six. A day that deserves it's own blog entry and hopefully, someday soon, I will give it one.


Fourth of July in Gunnison, Utah. Where I gave up running the 5K here so we could go to Gunnison. The kids loved the parade (they got way too much candy) and they love the games at the park (where they got way to many goldfish). We also have a big Sorensen family reunion at my Grandmas, with lots of yummy food. (Thanks Aunt Lisa for the pictures.)


Fishing with Grandpa

Swimming Lessons (sorry no pics)

A visit from Diane Rick's sister which resulted in a lot of sleepovers. Courtney also attended orchestra camp with her cousins. (Once again I will have to beg for pictures from my sister in laws)

Soccer Camp for Alex, with players from England. I loved hearing the accent again.
A trip to Shirece's in St. George to see Annie. (This picture is at Brigham Young's Winter home.)

Alex and Rick tried a backpacking trip that was cut short by a Moose on the trail. They will try again this weekend.

To sum it all up...

I have loved summer. I loved that Sarah started playing with dolls again. I love that all my kids helped out around the house. I loved sleeping in until 8:00 some mornings and getting up at 6:30 to go running on other mornings. I loved watching all my kids learn to play together again and laugh together and even fight. I loved watching Alex go from playing the C song on the piano to teaching himself to play Book of Mormon Stories and Jingle Bells. I loved hearing Courtney improve on the violin. I enjoyed seeing Sarah and Brittney's face when they come out of dance. But all good things must come to an end, so more good things can start. Right?


3 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

That sounds like a great summer! You are a great mom!

Shayla D. said...

What memories you're making for your kids! It sounds like you've made lots of them this summer.

The Cox Family said...

Such a fun summer WE miss you guys. I can't wait till next summer and we can do it all again Shirlyn