Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Spirit

One of my favorite things about Christmas is the music that comes with it. I especially love songs about the Saviour. One of my favorite memories in England was gathering in a Catholic church and listening to all the school children including my kids school sing about the Saviour. The audience would join in quite regularly through out the servcie and sing about the birth of the Saviour. The audience and the school children were made up of all different Faiths, In fact we were the only Mormons. I loved it. I love the feeling I get and the testimony that burns in my heart when I listen to Christmas songs. It's been said that a music is another form of prayer. This year for some reason (a actual reason, but one that is not mine to share) the words have hit me even harder to the point that I find myself with tears in my eyes, tears of joy. And so with the words of others I would like to share my testimony.
"Then peeled the bells more loud and deep: "God is not dead nor doth he sleep; the wrong shall fail, the right prevail, with Peace on earth good will to men." Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"Be near me Lord Jesus I ask thee to stay, close by me forever and love me I pray. Bless all the dear children in thy tender care and fit for them for heaven to live with the there." Away in a Manger
And our eyes at last shall see him, Through his own redeeming love; For that child so dear and gentle Is our Lord in heaven above, And he leads his children on To the place where he is gone. Cecil Frances Alexander -Once in Royal David's City.
To these scholars and poets I add my testimony in my own words.
I am so thankful for a Lord and Saviour. He was born into the humblest circumstances. He lived His life without glory, He lived in service of the living, those who had gone before, and those yet to be born. He died that so that we can return and live with him again. He walked for us when he lived on this earth and he walks with us now. This is why we have and celebrate Christmas. May we feel his love in our lives, may those who have forgot remember, may we all try and be more like him. This is what I feel and pray everytime I hear a Christmas song or see a Nativity.

4 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony Sharon. The lines you picked are some of my favorites too. I love that verse from Away in a Manger--perfect lullaby. Once in Royal Davids City is also one of my favorites. Not everyone knows it but it is beautiful.

Suebee said...

I feel your testimony and thank you for sharing it. Merry Christmas.

Shayla D. said...

What a wonderful testimony. I, too, love Christmas music. I love to sing about our Savior. I'm so glad I started off my day with this! I hope you guys have a wonderful Christmas!

~T~ said...

Amen.
We've had the opportunity to attend a variety of concerts this season. Though I try to behave as a good audience member should, it can be hard not to sing along, or dance in my seat, like my boys do. Let saints and angels sing!