Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why?

I have been thinking a lot lately. About Why? Why do we as human beings treat each other so rudely? I have a wonderful husband and beautiful children and the most discouraging thing to me is to watch my kids fight or treat each other rudely. While the most beautiful thing to me is to watch them get along and play together and enjoy each other.
I went to pick up Alex from scouts the other day. I walked over to the church and made him climb down from the tree so we could go home. He did begrudgingly. As we were walking home a little boy from his Scout troop ran over to me almost in tears. Can I ride home with you? I answered by saying "I didn't drive today." He then explained that he didn't want to ride home with his normal ride because two of the boys in the car pool were being mean to him. I wanted to cry for him, run home get my car and take him home. Why, Why do we do it? Do we not know we are brother and sisters?
Rick took Courtney to her awards breakfast the other day for getting good grades and excelling in school. Everyone there was there for the same achievement. When they were calling out names to give them their certificate one of the girl's names was a bit different and easy to make fun of. Parents of the kids at Rick and Courtney's table started laughing rudely at this girl's name and making fun of her and the kids joined in. These are all smart people they are at an academic awards breakfast. Again I asked myself why, why do we treat each other this way?
Courtney my oldest, who loves church, loves being involved was struggling the other day and didn't want to go to the Young Woman activity for our church, because the girls are not always kind to her. Why? Why when the place she should feel the most accepted, next to our home, does she feel the most excluded?
She came off the bus today begging for me to take her and pick her up from school because people were mockingly throwing potato chips and other various food items at her and a few others just for their amusement. Why, why do we treat each other this way?
Why do I snap at may husband when he is just trying to help, or my kids when it all was just an accident?
President Monson in his speech to the young woman quoted Mother Teresa. "If we judge people we don't have time to love them." Ever since that talk when I start to judge someone or try to explain to myself or my husband why someone might be that way, this quote pops into my head. Why can't we just catch a glimpse of what Heavenly Father sees in us all of us. Sister Hinckley said something to the affect of "We are all God's children and if we could just get that through our heads thoroughly and completely, ...we would never say a cross word... We would not criticize anybody. We would love everyone the way the Saviour loves us."
I would imagine that just as my greatest joy is to watch my children get along, that our Heavenly Father feels joy as he watches us get along. Just as it tears me apart to watch my children fight. I would imagine that it is not easy for him to watch us treat each other so poorly.
So once again Why? We are all children of God. We are all brothers and sisters and we are all in this together. (no pun intended for High School Musical fans)

6 comments:

Lindsay Jones said...

So true! It is just heartbreaking sometimes, isn't it? Thank you for sharing that quote, what a good one to remember!

Shayla D. said...

How awful when we treat each other that way. I'm so glad you shared those stories. It's a good reminder that we should all treat each other the way our Heavenly Father and Savior would want us to.

berry family said...

I agree I think as human beings we can be one of the nicest or one of the meanest things on earth. I know it's a everyday process to try to be the best people we can be.
Thanks for the reminders.
Rashelle

Suebee said...

Thank you for your thoughts. You are so right and your post was a great reminder.

Melissa said...

That is a good quote. I am dreading the time that anyone is mean to my kids. It must rip your heart out. I don't understand it either. There was a boy in our ward that went inactive doing young men activities because he didn't feel included or friendshipped at the mutual nights. It is way sad when that happens at church.

Julie said...

Sharon you are so eloquent. I have been having many of those same thoughts. Even for myself. Why do I do and say the things I do? I would be a big angry mama bear if someone spoke to my children the way I sometimes do. I am just hoping someday I will get it. Thanks for helping me remember. Thanks for the quotes.